UALR Law Library Special Collections, is open to the public.
Call or email Kathryn C. Fitzhugh, Reference/Special Collections Librarian, 501-324-9974, in advance for an appointment. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Collections Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM. Call well in advance. driver's license or other government-issued photo identification.
We have a reading room for archives partrons and a locker for briefcases, coats, and other belongings. Read about our procedures at the link below, "Use of Archives" before you visit.
Description of Holdings
The UALR/Pulaski County Law Library holds early Arkansas Supreme Court Briefs and Records. The court records consist of the filings at the appellate level which means the appellate records of the Arkansas Supreme Court. At the time these records were created the Arkansas Court of Appeals did not yet exist.
Even though many files are not complete, the files typically contain transcripts, pleadings, depositions, testimony, and evidence from the trial courts. Many files contain only the transcripts.
- Series I: 1836 - 1886. Indexed. MILESTONE: In May 2013 we finished cleaning and flattening all of Series I, consisting of 5,767 files.
- Series II: 1887 - 1909. Indexing finished in 2016. .
- Series III: Civil cases, 1907 - 1926; Series II and III overlap. Indexing is in progress. The docket books and records of proceedings of Series V serve as indexes.
- Series IV: Criminal cases, 2/11/1886 - 1/3/1964. Includes briefs separately shelved. Series IV is filed by docket numbers.
- Series V: Docket books, records of proceedings, opinion record books, books of early attorneys' licenses, and other record books.